Role type: Part-time 10 hours/week
Preferred location: Seattle
The Syndrome Mag is seeking a savvy and funny part-time editor to join our staff.
You’re a natural storyteller, and you have great writing and editing skills. You believe in the power of humor to communicate ideas, empower, and inspire change. You’re a genuinely caring, energetic person who believes in gender equality and wants to make a positive impact on society.
We are committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in all areas of our work. Women of color are encouraged to apply.
The Syndrome Mag is a non-profit organization with the mission of raising awareness of gender equality issues through humor and satire. We believe that humor can be used as a powerful tool to inform, educate and entertain.
To fulfill our mission, we produce a series of products and activities:
- An online magazine featuring real, funny stories written by women on their experiences, as well as opinions on topics related to gender
- Satirical and informative content on our social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- Books – anthologies of humor pieces
- Live comedy shows produced with professional actors as training interventions for companies on diversity and inclusion in the workplace
- A podcast that features interviews dealing with gender inequality issues and coping strategies that use humor
The Editor will manage the editorial process including the online magazine content, communication with writers, general oversight and mission alignment for digital content, and other occasional projects.
Applicants are required to submit a portfolio.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (journalism, English, creative writing, communications, or other relevant discipline. Equivalent experience with demonstrated ability may be considered)
- Strong storytelling skills
- Comfortable with Microsoft Office and WordPress
- Comfortable with social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter), experience with content campaigns strongly preferred
- Ability to work independently and on a team, and meet deadlines
- Experience with writing and editing
- Excellent grammar and formatting skills
- Awareness and commitment to the organization’s mission and core topics – gender equality issues, discrimination, stereotyping
- Knowledge of inclusive language
- Comfortable with public speaking, video experience a plus
- Comedy writing experience is strongly preferred. A sense of humor is indispensable!
- Write 2 articles/month
- Edit 3 articles/week – this includes communication with writers, follow-up with them to complete edited version, and soliciting articles that meet specific needs
- Upload edited articles onto WordPress and connect with Digital Marketing Manager for scheduling, especially if timely
- Communicate through the week with editorial and digital marketing team members (zoom/chat/in person once possible)
- Edit digital content when necessary (website, newsletter, social media, etc.) for clarity, readability, style guidelines so that it’s effective and relevant to their intended audiences
- Constant oversight of digital content to ensure the material published aligns with mission and is intersectional
- Oversight on social media comments and interaction with audience
- Potential for other one-off projects TBD
If this sounds like a role you’re interested in, please apply by sending your resume, cover letter and portfolio (or relevant links to it) in a single email to firstname.lastname@example.org.