The Syndrome Mag is committed to elevating black voices. As a response to the murders of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and countless others, and the continuous systematic violence perpetrated against the black community, we have launched the Black Voices Matter campaign for the month of June.
As an ally and supporter of the Black Lives Matter movement, we believe that now is the time to pause our regular content and instead utilize this online space for anti-racism efforts. Black women/non-binary individuals are invited to submit their work – we look forward to hearing from you.
- Articles should be 500-1200 words in length.
- We’re looking for articles that speak to the experiences of black women/non-binary individuals only.
- Example of topics: Black Lives Matter, protests, everyday racism, grief, trauma, community and leadership, “Woke-ness”, allies.
- Due to the gravity of the nation’s events, our criteria for “funny” and “humorous” content is far less of a priority. Please feel free to express current events in whatever writing tone is authentic to you.
- Deadline to submit for this specific campaign is currently June 30th.
Black writers will receive $50 for each published article. Our regular fee of $20 per article has been increased during this time as a small gesture to black writers whose work will inevitably bring insight and education to our wide readership, though we acknowledge this payment is not nearly enough.